Welcome to the Research and Development Website of the Faculty of Human Sciences. Research in the Faculty of Human Sciences spans a wide range of disciplines including:
- Early Childhood
- Cognitive Science
There are opportunities for research collaboration and higher degree research in all of these areas with contributions from world class researchers in the field.
The Faculty of Human Sciences at Macquarie University is home to the ARC Centre of Excellence in Cognition and its Disorders (CCD). Through CCD, a group of leading researchers, including academics from Macquarie University, the University of New South Wales and the University of Western Australia, is conducting research to further understand, and develop unique treatments for a range of disorders such as dementia, autism and reading problems.
CCD is also developing collaborations with researchers from the Centre for Language Sciences (CLaS), another Macquarie University Research Centre located within the Faculty, in areas such as psycholinguistics, computational linguistics, lexicography, audiology and speech science.
The Faculty of Human Sciences is home to the new Hearing Hub a state-of-the-art facility that will bring together researchers from several University research teams, including Languages and Cognitive Sciences, and clinical research/professional training teams, from audiology, speech pathology, and psychology. However, through a unique partnership, the Hearing Hub will work together with major government research organisations such as the National Acoustic Laboratories within Australian Hearing, research and implantation teams from Australia's leading hearing technology company, Cochlear Ltd, and major not-for-profit organisations offering clinical and related social services for hearing disorders, including The Royal Institute for Deaf and Blind Children and The Shepherd Centre.
Education is another major research focus within the Faculty of Human Sciences. Researchers at the Institute of Early Childhood and its associated Children and Families Research Centre and Mia Mia Child and Family Study Centre, research topics related to early childhood education, while researchers at the Department of Education examine aspects of school and higher education. The Macquarie University Special Education Centre (MUSEC) conducts research into the education of children with special needs in conjunction with the Special Education School that operates on campus. Finally, the Faculty of Human Sciences accommodates the Macquarie ICT Innovations Centre, a collaborative initiative between Macquarie University and the New South Wales Department of Education that seeks to develop and evaluate technology-based solutions in education.
The Department of Psychology with its associated Centre for Emotional Health is one of the largest and most productive psychology departments in Australia. It is also one of the most diverse, with world-class research in areas ranging from childhood anxiety to driving and motion capture. It is a key contributor to the Faculty in terms of the quality of publications and research grant success.
The Department of Linguistics and its associated research groups and centres have received international recognition in four distinct areas of research:
- Applied Linguistics
- Speech Pathology
- Translating and Interpreting
Research in Australian Sign Language is a recognised strength of the Centre for Translating and Interpreting.
You can find out more about research in the Faculty by visiting the websites of the various departments and research centres. The Faculty has a lively and growing research culture and welcomes interested people from within and outside the university to attend its research seminars and public lectures.
Professor Mark Wiggins
Associate Dean, Research
- Faculty Research Bulletin 2013 Issue 8
- Faculty Equipment Grant Scheme (closing 26 August 2013) Rules Form[RTF 243kb]
- Faculty Open Access Journal Assistance Scheme (closing 28 August 2013) Rules Form[Word 81kb]
- Faculty closing dates for MQ and Faculty grant schemes (May-December 2013)
- Details and timelines for various internal and external funding schemes are available from the University Research Office website.
- Social Media for Researchers presentation slides
- Annual report - Faculty Research Centres
- Final report - Faculty Grant Writing Support Scheme
- Final report - Faculty International Visiting Research Fellowships
- Sponsored Research consultancy approval form [RTF 193KB]
- Sponsored Research contract research approval form [RTF 307KB]
Research Fact Sheets
- How to get started on research work in Macquarie University
- A summary of Macquarie University and Faculty Research Grant Schemes
- Submitting a research grant application
- Major research grant rounds review processes
- Sponsored Research
- Common issues in contract management
- ERA - Excellence in Research for Australia
- New workplace health and safety laws - what research team leaders need to know
- NHMRC Grant Review Panel observer notes
Useful Links and Resources
- MQ Vice-Chancellor Innovation Fellowship information session slides
- Macquarie Research Office
- Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research
- How to obtain ethics approval
- Useful links for animal ethics